Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2009

I don't like bugs

...but my daughter does. {sigh} Oh well.

I just spent some time in the backyard to photograph some very gross caterpillars. If you don't like bugs either you should probably not read this post. Don't worry, I don't intend to make bugs a regular topic :) While I was out there I also tried (unsuccessfully) to fix our pool pump and managed to get stung by ants, a fly by buzzing by something with wings, and had one of those HUGE spiders walk right in front of me. Sometimes I really don't like living in the "country".

So, about the caterpillars...they are also huge! And they've been eating our tomato plants. Now that I know they are the culprit, I've been trying to remove them so we can grow some tomatoes once again. Also, we planted pumpkins. I really want the pumpkins to grow...even more than I care about tomatoes. So I don't want the caterpillars to get the pumpkins too. The problem with all of this is that the caterpillars are really good at blending in with the plants and you don't notice them until they are so big that they stand out. And only if you're looking hard for them. By this time, they've eaten a good amount of leaves. I went out with gloves on a couple days ago to pick them off of the plants and Taylor accompanied me with her gloves too. I wish I had gotten some pictures of us. Mommy was such a wuss about it and Taylor actually wanted me to put them in her hands so that she could throw them in the grass. They make this weird clicking noise and emit a green substance when they're being messed with too. She doesn't care! I'm glad she's tougher than me. Next time I'll just send her out there to do my dirty work :) Here are some pictures of the gross green grubbies:



Can you see it? Right in the middle...good camouflage!


Now you see it? Ugh!

Here's two of them. One centered and one to the back left.


It's easy for them to hide in this mess.


Our pumpkin leaves.

More pumpkin plants, next to a random marigold.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Those things are YUCK! Speakin' of yuck and country, my mom and brother found a coral snake eating another snake in their yard today. Eeek!!

Andrea said...

Ew! Those things are gross! At least you have a little helper :)

Becky said...

We need to talk about your blog. And how you haven't updated it in a month. I know you were on vacation, but clearly you're back now. Please work on this. My work days need more entertainment.